What are Dental Bridges, Their Procedure, Benefits & Aftercare Tips?
What are Dental Bridges?
A dental bridge is a device consisting of dental crowns and false teeth used to bridge a gap between missing teeth. It can be made from gold, porcelain, and metal fused with ceramics. The different types of bridges are traditional, cantilever, Maryland, and implant-supported. Read on to learn about the process, benefits, and aftercare tips of dental bridges.
Why Do You Need Dental Bridges?
When you visit our dentist in 77024 with missing teeth, they will evaluate your smile. They may recommend dental bridges for various reasons, including the following:
- To replace one or several missing teeth in a row restoring the ability to chew and speak.
- To improve or maintain your smile and facial appearance.
- For preventing remaining teeth from shifting and misaligning.
What is the Procedure for Getting Dental Bridges?
The procedure for getting dental bridges is simple and pain-free. It can be completed in two visits to our dentist in Houston, TX, 77024. Below are general steps of what to expect during a dental bridge process:
- The dentist will begin by numbing your teeth and gums surrounding the gap. They will use an appropriate anesthetic. If you suffer from dental anxiety, they will also administer a sedative to calm you.
- Then they will prepare the teeth that will support the dental bridge. They will remove any decay and shape the teeth to support a crown properly. When getting implant-supported bridges, the dentist will fix the implants in the jawbone.
- The dentist will take an impression or scan of your teeth and send them to the dental lab. They are used to create a permanent dental bridge.
- The dentist will select an appropriate color of a bridge that suits your smile. They will create a bridge with the selected color for a uniform smile.
- They will then create a temporary bridge or crown and place it in the gap. It will protect the teeth and restore dental function for a short time.
- The dentist will contact you once the dental implant has fused with the jawbone properly and the permanent bridge is ready. They will remove the provisional bridge and fix the permanent one in place.
- Finally, they will ensure the bridge fits perfectly and is secure.
What are the Benefits of Getting Dental Bridges?
Replacing missing teeth with dental bridges has numerous advantages. Below are a few benefits of getting tooth bridges:
- Bridges replace missing teeth restoring your smile.
- They represent missing teeth restoring chewing and biting functions.
- Dental bridges improve facial appearance by reducing the drooping of facial muscles.
- Implant-supported bridges stimulate the jawbone preventing facial sagging in the future.
- The replacements improve your bite, reducing pressure on the rest of the teeth.
- Front teeth dental bridges improve your speech.
- The process of getting dental bridges is uncomplicated, painless, and has excellent results.
What are the Aftercare Tips for Dental Bridges?
Once you get your new dental bridges, the dentist will provide aftercare tips. The instructions will help care for your bridges so they last longer and remain in excellent condition. They include the following:
- Avoid chewing hard and sticky foods that can damage or dislodge your dental bridges. Also, reduce your consumption of sugary and acidic foods.
- Brush at least twice every day using a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Also, floss daily and use a proxabrush to clean under your bridge effectively. Proper oral hygiene will prevent decay, gum disease, and staining of your bridge.
- Do not smoke or use tobacco products. They can stain your bridges and increase the risks of oral health diseases.
- Attend regular dental exams and cleanings at the dentist’s office. Your dentist will ensure your mouth is healthy, and bridges are in excellent condition.
- Avoid habits that can damage the bridges, such as nail biting and opening packages with your teeth.
- Avoid teeth grinding and clenching. If you have bruxism, notify your dentist so they can create a customized nightguard. It will cushion your teeth from impact and prevent dental bridge damage.
Get Tooth Bridges Near You
Dental bridges replace missing teeth restoring your smile and dental function. They are customized to appear natural and function as well as your real teeth. So, if you have missing teeth, contact us at Lynn Alan Palmer DDS to get dental bridges in Houston, TX. You can also contact us for other teeth-replacing procedures, such as dental implants and dentures.